Here’s What to Do…
Certain statistics estimate that about 41 million drivers receive speeding tickets on an annual basis in the United States, which is more than 112,000 drivers per day. In addition, many more drivers are cited for traffic violations other than speeding, which can include:
- Failing to use a turn signal
- Improper passing
- Following too closely
- Failing to yield
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Reckless driving
If you are pulled over and a law enforcement officer issues you a ticket, it is natural to wonder: what do I do now?
You have options regarding how you deal with the ticket. For example, you often have the ability to pay the fine before your scheduled court date. Some tickets require that you appear in court and you can go to court and either plead guilty or not guilty to the allegations. You can also call an experienced traffic attorney who can advise you of the implications of your decision how to handle the ticket. The following are some situations in which calling a lawyer is highly advisable:
- The ticket will result in points on your license – When points from moving violations accumulate on your driving record, you can risk suspension of your license. An attorney can help to avoid points with a plea bargain or by having your ticket dropped.
- The fine is costly – By negotiating with the prosecutor, an attorney can work to have your fine reduced or eliminated.
- A court date is required – Traffic court should be taken seriously and, just like any other court appearance, there are procedures and rules to follow. An attorney will represent you and protect your rights in front of the judge.
- You believe you were wrongfully cited – Fighting a ticket is not an easy task, even if you are certain you are not guilty of the violation. A lawyer will have the tools to argue on your behalf to defend against a wrongful citation.
After a traffic ticket, you have nothing to lose by calling a lawyer to discuss your situation and your options. Too many people in New Jersey accept pricey fines or points on their record when an attorney could have helped them minimize the consequences they face.
Call 732-662-7658 today for a free consultation.
At the Law Offices of Leon Matchin, we make the process of handling a traffic ticket as stress-free as possible for you. Please contact our office today to learn more about the ways we can help you.