False imprisonment is a charge you may not see coming. Unlawfully restraining a person against their will could seem like the right thing to do under some circumstances, but it can also cost you a lot. Don’t allow yourself to take on more than you can handle. If you are facing a false imprisonment charge, here’s what to do.

Call Your Attorney

The very first thing you should do after a false imprisonment charge is to call your attorney. It’s preferable to find one who understands the law regarding false imprisonment. No matter your intent for restraining a person, you should have the legal guidance to see you through a charge, court case, and even sentencing. You don’t want to represent yourself in cases like these. There might be ways to lessen or dismiss charges that you don’t know about on your own, and the prosecution may not think to ask for evidence to support you.

Understand Your Options For Your False Imprisonment Charges

A false imprisonment attorney will be able to explain your options to you. In some cases, charges could be dropped. If the person you are restraining is a minor that you are either a relative or a guardian of, and the intent behind the restraint was gaining control, the case will often not move forward. Also, if you were restraining this person in good faith that you had the duty to restrain them, it could also lead to a dismissal. Your attorney might be able to claim a municipal ordinance instead of a criminal defense to get charges lessened.

Serve Any Penalties

A conviction of false imprisonment can come with up to six months in jail and up to $1,000 in fines. The conviction will be on your criminal record. It’s also possible that you’ll have to pay assessment fees to the Violent Crimes Compensation Board and do community service. Even if your attorney is able to claim a municipal ordinance, you’ll still be assessed fines. Your criminal record will stay with you and will most likely be expensive to have expunged.

Call Leon Matchin Today

When you are charged, don’t try to do everything alone. An attorney is there to give you the counsel you need. If you are dealing with false imprisonment charges and need help, call the law offices of Leon Matchin, an attorney with over 10 years of experience. Talk to Leon Matchin at 732-887-2479, or email him at [email protected] for a free, no-strings-attached consultation.