A New Jersey woman was struck with a shovel during a street fight this summer. The police received a call about the incident, but had difficulty finding the involved parties. In the end, they apprehended both the alleged perpetrator and the victim of the shovel attack.
The police were called to a New Jersey home regarding a woman who was thought to have been attacked by a shovel. Upon arrival, the police found that the home was empty. The authorities were then directed to an intersection where a fight with baseball bats was alleged to be taking place. The police found the man accused of the attack but couldn’t find his alleged victim. Ultimately, they found the victim who was bleeding from her head. The weapons believed to have been used in the assault, a shovel and hammer, were found near the intersection. Both the suspect and the alleged victim were treated for injuries at a nearby medical center, and the man was charged with aggravated assault.
Aggravated Assault Charges
Assault charges are brought in New Jersey when a person injures or attempts to injure another person without legal justification. Such a charge can be brought as simple assault or as aggravated assault. The difference rests on several factors:
- How serious the injury sustained by the victim is;
- If the defendant used a weapon or other object to cause the victim’s injury; and
- Whether the victim is allowed special protections by New Jersey law.
Additionally, aggravated assault – of varying levels – can be identified by different combinations of several legal elements:
- The defendant caused injury;
- The defendant acted purposely;
- The defendant acted knowingly;
- The defendant acted recklessly;
- The defendant acted under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life; or
- The defendant used a deadly weapon, such as a firearm or knife or some other object of substance that could be used as a weapon (like a shovel).
If You’re Facing Assault or Weapons Charges, Call 732-662-7658 for a Free Consultation Today
If you’re looking at a New Jersey assault or weapons charge, allow the Law Offices of Leon Matchin to defend your case and protect your rights. Our experienced criminal defense lawyers have the skill and dedication to fight for your rights and to obtain your case’s best possible outcome. Please give us a call at 732-662-7658 or contact us online today.