Criminal Mischief

What To Do If Your Teen Is Charged with Possession of Alcohol

Photo by Scott Rodgerson on Unsplash

As a parent, your immediate reaction when your teen is caught in possession of alcohol might be several emotions. You might be shocked, angry, confused, sad, or overwhelmed. All of those emotions are valid, but can sometimes get in the way of making the right choices to help your teen out. It is your job to be there for them and support them through the charges. With your help and support, they can fight the charges and reclaim their everyday lives. 

However, you can’t do this alone. When your child is charged with possession of alcohol, you need a New Jersey attorney who knows how to fight the charge. It’s a good idea to contact the Law Offices of Leon Matchin, LLC. Leon will work to fight the charges and help your teen get back on their feet. Let him help you with the legal side so you can focus on what you do best: being a parent. Here is what you should do if your teen is caught in possession of alcohol. 

Don’t Panic

It’s easier said than done, but it is essential not to panic when your teen is charged with possession of alcohol. Panicking won’t help their case, and you won’t be able to approach the charges with a clear head. The best thing to do is take a few deep breaths, call the Law Office of Leon Matchin LLC, and remain supportive of your child. 

It is also not a good idea to talk openly about your teen’s charges until you have retained a New Jersey attorney. Speaking too freely about your teen’s charges can jeopardize their future case. You want to keep the matter in the family and let your lawyer handle the critical tasks. 

Disorderly Persons Offense in New Jersey

In the state of New Jersey, an underage teen caught in possession of alcohol could be charged with a disorderly person’s offense. Leon Matchin has experience in dealing with disorderly person’s violations of all degrees. He has represented clients with petty person offenses, first, second, third, and even fourth-degree offenses. 

Having alcohol falls under the possession of a controlled substances charge (CDS) in New Jersey. This is important to note because disorderly person offenses are not technically crimes. In this instance, that means your teen won’t be appearing before a jury.

Penalties and Fines

Even though your teen won’t appear in front of a jury for a disorderly person’s offense, they could still receive up to six months in jail, as well as fines. Other consequences can also arise based on the offense. These also vary depending on the nature of the charges. Your teen might lose their license or even face incarceration for recurring crimes. 

Photo by Efren Barahona on Unsplash

Prepare On Your Own As Well

While Leon Matchin has your back through the entire process of fighting your teen’s possession of alcohol charges, it’s still a good idea to learn what you can on your own. Why? Because preparation and knowledge gives you another advantage in your teen’s case. If you come across as a reliable adult who has researched the laws about disorderly person’s offenses, you have a better chance of helping your teen. Don’t be passive. Do whatever you can to help your teen fight their charges. Check out this comprehensive legal guide to help you become better acquainted with the ins and outs of disorderly person’s offenses. 

Contact Your New Jersey Attorney Today

Your teen’s charge of possession of alcohol doesn’t have to ruin their life. Though it does put you and your teen through an extensive legal process, it’s easier with the support and expertise of the Law Offices of Leon Matchin, LLC. With the best New Jersey attorney by your side, your teen’s case will be in the most reliable and trustworthy hands. With experience in all degrees of disorderly person’s offense cases, Leon Matchin will handle your teen’s case efficiently and fight to drop the charges. For more information about New Jersey attorney Leon Matchin and how he can help with your teen’s possession charges, contact him immediately by phone at (833) 732-7320, or email him at

Let’s connect!

Fill out the form on the right and get in touch with us.

Free Consultation

Free Consultation